Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Sometimes its the little (ridiculous) things of which you are most proud

I have always been terrified of things under pressure. Balloons mostly. I distinctly remember a party in 4th grade in which we played a game where you sat on a balloon to pop it and I freaked out and started sobbing. Obviously I have gotten my various irrational fears under control as I age (I can get a shot with out being pinned down, I can hold balloons, I can aim a spotlight at someone firing blanks without needing to cover my ears, I can kill a spider with a broom, or even my shoe if I am feeling especially brave*).
But I still don’t LIKE things that are under pressure. They can explode! And make loud noises! And become missiles!
Yes, I realize that this incredibly ridiculous when talking about things like balloons, fire extinguishers, and propane tanks. But it is less so when you are dealing with oxygen tanks. Which do explode or break open and become missiles on a fairly regular basis.
And so I would just like to say that I handled an O2 tank, attached a regulator, attached a mask to the regulator, turned it on and off, and then took the whole thing apart without A) freaking out, B) dropping it, C) sobbing like a small child.
Be proud of me! I demand it.

*On the Colbert Report last week Stephen had tarantulas put on him while talking about race to demonstrate that he is not a coward. I was okay when they were just on his arm, and shoulder but when one got put on his head I couldn’t bear it. I started squealing and covering my eyes. IN MY DEFENSE I was bit by a tarantula in 3rd grade so I am especially frightened of them and their furry furry legs. THINGS SHOULD NOT LOOK LIKE THAT. TOO MANY LEGS AND EYES. UNNATURAL! GOD WOULD NOT HAVE MADE SOMETHING SO FOUL.

Okay, so I am still a ways away from becoming a baddass.

2 Comments:

Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

you are also ok with bottles popping open. thats like 2 steps away from badass

4:04 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

whatever, you are totally a badass for so many other reasons

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home