Sunday, September 14, 2008

RIP

My friend Theresa got very depressed when Norman Mailer died and I have to admit I didn't really get it. He's just a writer, I thought, his work is already published, whats the big deal.
I totally get it now.
David Foster Wallace died this weekend at the age of 46 and the world is a worse place without him. He was one of the most talented, intelligent and ambitious writers of our age. He always wrote knowingly about the world's pain but his writing never gave the impression of one who was overwhelmed. I think the reason why I am so sad is that his work had such a humor, such an amusement at life, that if he couldn't handle this world, who can?
His writing is so much smarter than me that reading him made me feel like a better person for having shared the journey. He's not everyone's cup of tea but no one can deny that he was genius.
In Neil Gaiman's sandman books there is a library in the realm of dreams that stores all the books never written. I would like to visit that library some day and read all the books Foster Wallace never got the chance to write.

1 Comments:

Blogger L.Dah K.Plan said...

your blogging has really picked up with this new job...lb

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home