Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I need some help

So an old friend of the family sent me an email but I think I could use some help answering it:
Hi Larke,
“Uncle” Rick here. David and I were talking about movies worth watching. (You and he turned me on to The Departed last year – great flick!)

Any chance you would recommend a handful to me? I am contemplating a Blu Ray player so action, panoramas, “guy movies,” anything worth enjoying in 1080p are all potentials. I found Pulp Fiction unpleasant, but loved American Werewolf in London. I own all the Lethal Weapons, Bourne Identities, Dirty Harrys and Die Hards, as well as Director’s cuts of E.T., Terminator 2, and the Lord of the Rings series.

Thanks,

Rick

***

Below is my response:

Hey Rick,
I essentially just looked at my netflix history for the past three years and pulled stuff off of it that I really enjoyed and think you would too. Some of these are pretty mainstream and you might have seen already. Some are not.
Because you enjoyed the Departed so much you might be interested in checking out the Hong Kong movie it is based on. It’s called Infernal Affairs and is readily available. Its great in a slightly different way than Departed and fascinating to watch them both.
And now a list:
Memories of Murder and the Host – two Korean movies, one about serial killings and the other about a monster terrorizing Seoul. Both beautiful to watch, and really awesome plotwise.
The Devils Backbone - awesome ghost story from the director of Pans Labyrinth
Donnie Brasco - Mob movie from the late 90s with Johny Depp and Al Pacino. Im not really a fan of mob movies but this one is quite good.
Gone baby gone - a kidnapping drama from last year that got completely ignored at award time which I don't understand at all. Its incredibly tense and morally ambiguous.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - I love this movie. I think it is gorgeously shot and subtly scary. My mom thinks it is the most boring thing she has ever seen in her life. Take that for what you will.
Michael Clayton - fantastic legal thriller from last year.
3:10 to Yuma - Western from last year. I bet it would look gorgeous in bluray.
Nightwatch - completely bizarre Russian scifi craziness. If you don't like weird, avoid this one. If you do... well its a gem. Unfortunately its sequel Daywatch is incomprehensible.
Breach - political thriller from last year. Again I don't know what this was ignored at awards time.
Zodiac - the pinnacle of serial killer movies. I dont think they will get any better.
City of God - AHmazing Brazilian movie about gang wars. Absolutely beautiful and fascinating. Probs my favorite of all the movies on this list.
Layer Cake - British mob thriller with Daniel Craig. Just a lot of fun.
Snatch - British mob thriller a la layer cake. Fun and what not.
Out of Sight - thriller from the mid 90s with Jenifer Lopez and George Cloony. Okay, i know, that makes it sound gross but it is a lot of fun and very sweet and swear JLo is actually good in it.
Idiocracy - deeply flawed but very funny movie about a future in which all the smart people have died out and the world is inhabited by idiots. An average man from our time who has been cryogenically frozen wakes up and discovers he could rule the world.
Brick - a nior mystery set in a southern California high school.
Rounders - fun poker movie.

***
I feel that certain people who read this blog (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) might actually have tastes closer to Rick's than mine. So please, boys and girls, leave your recommendations in the comments.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

was that caps lock for me?

lock stock and two smoking barrels - first guy ritchie movie. much better than layer cake. much.

true lies - seriously underrated. james cameron directed.

how bout that french movie we watched? that was cool.

310 to yuma was ok, kinda boring. im sure it would look nice in blu ray.

how bout batman begins, indepedance day, con air, the rock, transformers...all good action blu ray movies

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

that caps was for you. And others.
What french movie? Please tell me you aren't talking about Riffi because I HATED THAT!

12:23 PM  
Blogger samuel ryan said...

KISS KISS BANG BANG

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

OH MAN. I can't belive I forgot Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

that cool one that was like sector 83? the one jesse suggested

2:04 AM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

Oh man, asher, the only memory of that that i have is of a girl on a leash? And driving through walls? Obviously it left a deep impression.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW DID YOU FORGET "The Professional"? AKA the only movie Natalie Portman was ever good in. Shame, Larke, shame.

And WTF at city of god? That's not a guy's guy action movie. It's a "watch before I kill myself" movie.

Also, hello, Fight Club.

Face/Off
Reservoir Dogs
Dogma
Dr. Strangelove
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

1:46 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

okay, yes forgetting the professional was bad. But he's probably going to hate reservoir dogs and fight club if he didn't like pulp fiction.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i go by the "my dad" rule as far as these things go. he hated pulp fiction but loved fight club and reservoir dogs. so recommend anyway and if he hates them you can blame me. :D

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. i dunno if your uncle likes old movies but North by Northwest ftw!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

Disagree with most of Sushi's suggestions. They're not really movies you need Blu Ray for. Except for Face/Off.

Bad Boys II
The Bourne Movies
James Bond stuff
Terminator II
Seven
Predator

10:13 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

Ew. I am not recommending Seven to anyone.
I mean, I like that movie but I refuse to be responsible for that trauma.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

but its soooooo hot in blu ray

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home