Tuesday, September 16, 2008

14 Things That Irritated Me About The Pilot of Fringe

The weirdo symbols that we cut to right before every commercial break
Dharma initiative anyone?

That the scientist character is crazy.

That the insane asylum scene included both screaming sound fx and maniacal laughter sound fx in the background.

That someone okayed the line “You just don’t like me because I used to be the Marine special prosecutor and I put your friend away for rape.”

That the virus is a direct rip off of the X-files movie virus.
With the translucent skin, and the stickness, and the needing to be kept cold to slow the virus’ gestation.

The over dramatic music.
Just because the music is scared doesn’t mean I am.

That they did nothing with the cow.


That someone okayed the line “How is the doctor?” “He’s completely nuts. He’s also my only hope.”

The intrusiveness of the titles.
I shouldn’t be talking about the titles.

The unnecessaryness of the Baghdad scene.

Aside from the fact that we need to know that Joshua Jackson’s character speaks Farsi?

That a character as “smart” as Joshua Jackson would be so easily manipulated.

That the science has no apparent tie to reality.
Talking to the dead, anyone?

That the Kyle MacLaughlin-look alike being a twin is a complete cop out.

That the plot doesn’t make any sense emotionally or logically.
Its just being convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. I know that describes Lost but Lost is genuinely scary at times and the characters are compelling and well drawn from day one. Here its like they just strung together a series of traits –he has gambling debts and hates his father, she has trouble saying I love you etc – in replacement of character. I know its not fair to judge a show by its pilot. Some of my favorite shows took a while to get on their feet (30 Rock, American Office). But still this is JJ fucking Abrams we are talking about. The pilot of Lost is TV genus. This is just shit.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing that negates all your complaints: Joshua Jackson is on my TV again being super sexy and sarcastic. WIN! ALL AROUND!

I liked it. I'm not one of those JJ Abrams is god people though, I love Alias but let's be honest, he had little to do with Lost. That pilot was all Lindelof/Cuse with Abrams' name thrown in for good measure. And that's one of the few, few good pilots I've ever seen.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

Um except Josh Jackson isn't any good in it. (I mean, I don't think any of the actors are. Whoever directed this ep is shit).

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bite your tongue, missy! No for real though, I had no problem with his acting. The lead girl, on the other hand...I was like...MAKE ANOTHER EXPRESSION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

I'll let you watch the first season and if it turns out to be good I'll catch up around Christmastime.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home