Thursday, August 25, 2005

A thing I recently discovered

Screenwriters. Oh there is so much to say (mostly along the lines of “sell out” and “look at all that shiny stuff, gosh I really should sell out shouldn’t I?” and “jealous”.) But really its already been said, often by the screenwriters themselves. Which is probably why I am so fascinated and mildly shocked at the prevalence, the plethora, the avalanche of screenwriting blogs.
This was recently brought to my attention by Mr. Plante who directed me to JohnAugust.com which is the blog of the writer of Go, Big Fish, and Charlie and the Chocolate factory (I’d be tempted to hate him for Tim Burtons new hack status but I really liked Go and I don’t think we can blame anyone but Burton himself.) It’s an incredibly funny and entertaining (and sometimes informative) blog about the world John August lives in and the rest of us all long to inhabit. I was happy and amused and then I noticed the link section to the side. I clicked on something called theartfulwriter.com.
….
And a whole world I didn’t even know existed opened up to me.
Screenwriters telling-all isn’t exactly new. During the long dark month of July I read William Goldman’s adventures in the screen trade, a fun book chock full of gossip.
Well the blog-o-sphere is like that, only more. Much more. And not written in 1982.
I guess underneath it all it makes perfect sense seeing as writers (of the screen or otherwise) like to share their thoughts with the world. But what really befuddles me is that I haven’t found and playwriting blogs. Why could this be?
A) I haven’t looked that hard and I need Plante or Ryan to point interesting things out to me because(maybe sometime in the future there will be a post about a lunch with Giacopasi where I learned something that should have been completely obviouse to me but didn’t know because (and this is where this thought links up with the previous sentence and so I will end parenthetical)) I am compliatly fucking oblivious. But whatever, its part of my charm. That and I can’t count to 24 with out screwing up.
B) Playwrights are stupid and don’t understand the internet. This I highly doubt. All the playwrites I know spend way too much time on the online. As the saying goes, writing is 5% talent 95% not being distracted by the internet.
C) Playwrights are too busy trying to hold down a real job to have free time.
I some how suspect C.
So anyway, to help you little darlings that don't have a chirs or a sam of your very own to direct you to fun time wasters here are my fav screenplay sites.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Tremblay said...

please, host your own images. otherwise, it is what i call "bandwidth stealing".

thank you for your understanding.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home