Friday, October 10, 2008

So bad its good? Or just bad?

So lets get one thing clear. I have no shame about my love for the Twilight books. Yes, everything that has been said about how they are trash (true) and anti-feminist (I mean, the heroine spends 90% of the time being carried) and creepy (the hero is totally a stalker) is completely correct. But they also managed to capture that obsessive feeling of the first time you are in love. That oh-my-god-no-one-has-ever-felt-as-deeply-as-I-do teenage narcissism. Edward is totally the man that every one 16-year-old girl wishes she dated in high school (and every older woman recognizes as being dangerously unhinged but still there is that residual longing for someone to possess you.) Its all very regressive but also archetypal. No one will remember these books in ten years, I mean, they’re crap. But really engaging crap.
So why am I so disgusted by the poster for the movie?


They took everything that is weird and unappealing (yet easily ignorable) about Twilights vampires: the fact that they glitter, feel like stone, and their eyes are golden; and were like “ah yes, this must be what is making all those girls swoon” when it is not that at all! That stuff is all weird! And a desperate attempt to differentiate these books from the rest of the vampire cannon! What makes girls swoon is the fact that Edward is HOT! And this…. This is gross.

3 Comments:

Blogger Callan Stout said...

They feel like stone? really? I wonder what that's like.

I agree that poster is creepy.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

Yeah, there's all this stuff about how he feels like marble and she gets cold when she sleeps next to him. Its supposed to be "ooooo hes cool (Literally) and distant" when really its like "what is the good of having another body in the bed with you if they don't keep you warm?"

5:05 PM  
Blogger rachel blue eyes said...

Did I ever talk to you about those books? I've never read them but during the uproar over the newest one I read a lot of online arguing about them which was really hysterical. There's also a blog written by some girl (specific I know) that swoons over/ridicules the books almost page by page.
The poster is terrible but I wouldn't expect better- I've given up on book-I-like-into-movie translations.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home