Friday, September 26, 2008

Other people saying goodbye to Crumley

From the NYTimes:
If Mr. Chandler and Hunter S. Thompson had collaborated to produce a literary offspring, Mr. Crumley would unquestionably have been the result. In just seven private eye novels he carved out a genre that might properly be called gonzo gumshoe, set mostly in the back alleys, seedy bars and wild, forbidding countryside of Montana.

Roger:
James Crumley didn’t give a hoot what people thought about how he lived his life and he didn’t judge anyone on how they lived theirs, unless they were cruel, small spirited or high and mighty. He wasn’t really fond of sloppy drunks, academics or the very wealthy, but he cut them all a lot of slack.

He was more genuinely interested in listening to people than anyone I’ve ever known. I’m supposed to do that because I write people talking for a living; Jim gently showed me how bad I was at listening, and casually and constantly reminded me that nothing is more important.

From the Independent Article:
In an article that appeared in the Independent Sept. 26, 2006, Crumley wrote of his friend: “It’s no secret that Mr. Kittredge and I, during our misspent youths, spread disorder and various sorrows across several Western states, but we always paid our bar tabs and tipped like gentleman."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home