Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My Mama's for Obama

Yesterday Montana voted. Of course, even though we were the very last primary EVER (our polls closed later than South Dakota) the super delegates stole our thunder (including the coveted star wars delegation) by swinging towards Obama before our results came in. SCREW YOU SUPER DELEGATES. Regardless I went to the Wilma for the primary party and watched Obama’s speech on a giant movie screen with what felt like half of Missoula including my high school English and drama teachers, Colony folk, my brothers friends, my parents friends, and of course Scotty who looked like she was going to pass out at any moment. I gave her a big hug and told her congratulations (she been on the campaign since September and her response was “now I can sleep.”) It was wonderful and inspiring and everyone was drinking papst and cheering along with the screen. And I have to admit I was inspired (momentarily).
Afterwards I went out for drinks with assorted people including a guy who did the lights for every one of Obama’s campaign stops in Montana. He developed a giant crush on Michelle saying that she was the nicest person ever and totally chatted with him before she went on stage. I think that’s possibly one of the biggest things that makes me like Obama – everyone I know who has met him or Michelle says that they are wonderful, kind people.
Though people found it hilarious that Bill showed up in the MoClub (great burgers, hard-core alcoholics and the first (and only?) place I have ever played video keno) to court the young people but the only young people who were there were the Obama staffers. Scotty was amused and took pictures of the kids in their Obama shirts shaking Clintons hand. I’m glad he was a good sport.
Sidenote: Obama is not in the spell check.
And its all awesome great and man that man can speak but I think Roger summed it up best when he said, “you know who else could speak? Hitler.”
And while I would love to have Scottys enthusiasm I cant change the fact that I’m the person who wrote a play a year and half ago based on the premise “what if obama raped someone, what would his hard-core staffers do?” So much as I love this historic moment I’m going to keep one being a cynical bastard over here with my whiskey. My heart is safer that way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

cheers to use cynical bastards who type and drink whiskey

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home