Friday, May 02, 2008

Beautiful Trash

I am about to end four years studying film, TV and theatre. At the beginning I watched a lot of Bertoluchi, some Wenders, some French stuff. But the longer and longer I spend studying film the more I want light fluffy trash. Which isn’t to say I like all trash, sometimes trash is too…trashy. But when an summer blockbuster gets the right mix of fun and emotion and explosions and romance and some witty one liners and pretty stars it can be the most entertaining thing out there. And the well-done trash is something that America does better than any other place in the world (save Hong Kong and India).
So go watch Iron Man.
Yes it has so many problems. It makes no sense, Gwyneth Paltrow is terrible, and it’s a little bit racist. But there are moments of exhilaration and joy in there that I haven’t gotten from a superhero movie in a long time.
Oh, and Robert Downey Jr. is really really hot.
I don’t think I’ve liked a superhero movie this much since Batman Returns, though the first two X-Men movies came close. Iron Man ended and I turned to stephie and said “so when’s the sequel coming out?”
And that is high praise indeed.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Did you mean Batman Begins and not Batman Returns? Because Batman Begins was so good that I won't accept any non-Christian Bale Batman movies ever, past or future.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

No I mean old school batman returns with Michelle Pfiffer as cat woman.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the thing. i mean, yeeeeah it was kind of racist but by the end it sorta redeemed itself in terms of...it was racist on a totally different level of "dumb white people who are in charge are EVIL" but i'm totally ok with that. mostly because jeff bridges = dick cheney. it was too coincidental to not be intentional.

also, yeah, can we go see it again? cause robert downy jr., so so good. and so so so so pretty.

but yes, gwyneth paltrow can suck my cock. cause she's awful.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home