Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Watching Hairspray (the movie) with Sushi this weekend. And while I enjoyed it over all I left feeling kind of disturbed.
Well yes John Travolta in a fat suit can do that to you.
But aside from that I actually think Hairspray is kind of dangerous.
It’s a movie about the civil rights movement in which the blacks are passive. They spend the movie dancing and saying “oh that’s just the way life is.” Then this white girl comes along and gives them integration.
Yes that’s simplifying but, its also the gist of what happens.
Which is why I think Hairspray is dangerous.
Women had to take the vote. Integration had to be forced. Apartheid only fell once the country was on the brink of civil war. The powers that be are rarely, if ever, benevolent.
And I think this trust that “everything will work out” is what has gotten our country stuck where it is right now: a FEMA that doesn’t work, that war we’re in, our right to safe abortions nearly gone.
Hairspray is a movie about revolution with out revolutionaries. What we need are some revolutionaries in this country. Some people who are willing to fight.
Am I willing to fight?
Well that is the question.
Are you?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Asher said...

Let's fight!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to say EXACTLY all my problems with "Hairspray"!!! I feel ridiculous having problems with that (because it's a musical) but I do. Also, being fat is NOT the same as being black, even if people of both those groups aren't allowed on television. This is why we are friends. And this is Rachel, by the way.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home