Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I am in mourning.

I’m not in mourning for a person, fictional or otherwise. Don’t worry, there are no spoilers. I am mourning for a book. For a group of people I love almost as much as if they were real. I feel like I have just gone through a break up, or as if I lost a friend.
As I was coming home from work today I wept on the subway. I have gone to four midnight releases. These books have been a part of my life for 8 years. You kind of grow attached after that much time.
And what those people who make fun of Harry Potter don’t understand is that our love for these books comes from a love of story. Of make believe. Of the freedom to imagine. For some reason it is easier to read Harry Potter than other Young Adult or children’s book. Less of a stigma or whatever. But it is the same thing. I have read so many books in the last 8 years that I only read because they were good for me. Or, more recently, because it was “this springs hip new book.” And sometimes they were good. Some times not. But Harry Potter allowed me to be caught up in story in the same way I did when I was a lonely 5th grader with no friends. When books were my friends.
And in case any one hasn’t noticed: I love story. Or narrative. Or whatever I have decided to call it. I tell myself stories as I am falling asleep, as I am walking down the street, as I am waiting for people. And because of that when I was in Berlin, trapped and alone, I was never bored. Because story was my friend. I got into this profession because I love story. But a lot of this profession is not about story at all.
And part of me just wants to move back to Montana when I graduate, have a couple of kids and devote my life to telling them stories.
NO WORRIES! I’m not actually going to do that. (Though I do look forward to the day when I can read my kids the sorcerers stone, the golden compass, so you want to be a wizard, redwood and the hobbit.)
But I feel like that love is what is missing from my training. And while I start to freak out about what I am going to do post graduation I think refinding that love might need to be priority number one.
Maybe that means I should go back to Berlin.
P.S. Because we wouldn’t want this blog to get too serious:
Watched “Bring it on” tonight. Three, count em three of the actresses are in Buffy: Faith, Glory, and Cordette.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Asher said...

i dont hate harry potter because of its story, i do honestly think that rawlings did just want to write and tell a good story, which im sure she did. i hate harry potter because of what its doing to the world and everything behind it.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Dude, I finished the 6th last night, and yeah, total improvement over the first time.

Also, you are so so lucky I only picked ONE name out last night when you could have ruined it for all time. And I already knew that one. SO LUCKY or I would cut you in your sleep. I know where you sleep.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Lark(e) said...

Asher - and just what is it doing to the world, hmmm? Improving litteracy?
Em - I am SO SO sorry! I had no idea you were in the house. Seriously. I feel terreble.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home