Monday, May 01, 2006

My roommate

So I live next to a Turkish man who has been briefly mentioned in an earlier posts. I discovered that the walls of International House are paper thin through his opera. He also starts the mornings sometimes by making phone calls and yelling at someone in Turkish. Then hanging up. Then calling them back and yelling some more. I can hear his alarm clock go off in the morning, which is fine because it is usually only a few minutes before or after my alarm clock has gone off. Sometimes I come home at three am and sit on my computer typing and listening to him snore.
This also means that he hears everything in my room just as well (hello playing music ALL THE TIME). Which is sorta REALLY embarrassing when I think about it. Anyway, I was practicing my poetry for class tomorrow and my phone rings.
Me: Hello?
Roommate: Hello, its your neighbor. I was just wondering, what it is that you were reading?
Me: oh, I was, um practicing. My poetry.
Roommate: would you read again? It was so nice.
Me: um. Sure. I guess.
But then I decided it was too weird to just say my poem through the wall. So I go over and stand in the door way to say my poem. I then give a little plug for the show and go back to my room.
A few minutes later there is a knock on my door. It is my neighbor.
Roommate: I heard you coughing (Note: I’ve had a terrible cough for like three weeks now. Its absurd) and I brought you some stuff.
Me: oh thanks. Is it tea?
Roommate: you just boil it and then drink.
Me: so it is tea?
Roommate: I don’t know what it is. I look it up.
Turns out he gave me chamomile flowers which is awesome. But also weird. And I don’t think is helping my cough any. And now I am really self conscious every time I cough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home