Wednesday, March 29, 2006

9/11

I cant stop talking about “United 93.” I just cant. Every American I meet. On the phone. I wont shut up. And I don’t know why.
Well I do know why. The best man at my cousins wedding was the pilot of flight 93.
They just released the trailer on the internet and I wont stop watching it. And I cant stop sobbing.
Its as though maybe if I watch it enough I will get used to it.
When TyK first died looking at his picture would make me cry. I kept the program from his funeral behind a class photo and whenever I thought about him I would take the program out and look at him and cry. But after a year, or more, or less, I cant remember, it got so I could see his face and not cry. I still have that program and that class picture with my stuff in New York. And to be perfectly honest, sometimes 8 years on I still cry about him.
And maybe I do want to see that movie. Because I want to cry and cry and cry. I realize I'm still not over 9-11. I don’t think anyone is.
We thought the world was ending. We thought the world was ending. We thought the world was ending.
My daddy was flying to DC on the day. He was grounded in Salt Lake City. He rented a car and drove 15 hours to be home with us.
My uncle used to work one section over from the side of the pentagon that got hit.
My friend jordies brother went to school at Georgetown. She couldn’t get in touch with him and panicked.
We thought the world was ending.
And yet I still went to dance class on that day. I think I went to pick my brother up from Sussex. I stopped at rattlesnake gardens and a woman on a bike asked me what was on the radio. I said they thought Osama Bin Laden had something to do with it.
It was so beautiful that day.
I remember I took a math test. During 2nd period after watching the towers fall.
I tied an American flag to my antenna.
I listened to Bush’s speech and I thought “I will follow this man.”
I listened to Palestinians cheering on the radio and I thought “I hope you never get your fucking country.”
These are my memories.
These are my memories.
We are not over it. We still need to talk about it. And maybe this movie is good. Maybe it will help us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Asher said...

I was in french class learning about the passe compose.

I was wearing a Nautica t-shirt that ironically enough was red, white and blue.

My dad picked me up from school early and when we got out of the car, he locked it and in a hurry to get inside yanked the key so it jammed in the lock. We called a repair man to come out and fix our car door.

Whether or not it will be a good movie, a relevant movie, an appropriate movie, I agree that it will be a good thing for everyone

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home