Tuesday, August 19, 2008

When I stole that candy bar in 3rd grade I totally blamed Reeses. It was asking to be eaten.

So apparently Camille Paglia said that women getting falling-down-drunk at frat parties and then getting raped are akin to leaving your car keys in the ignition and then being surprised when the car gets stolen.

While I get the whole women-need-to-be-careful angle why isn’t she saying “boys, just because you see a car with the keys in the ignition doesn’t mean you can steal it”? So much of the language discussing date rape (or gray rape or whatever it’s still rape) has to do with women drinking too much or wearing short skirts. While yes it is stupid to get smashed in a frat house and yes if you go to someone’s room there are societal expectations that you shouldn’t be surprised if they come into play (regardless, no means no) I don’t understand why the frat boys don’t have to take responsibility for their car stealing ways. Just because the skirt is short doesn’t mean you can rape her. Just because she’s drunk doesn’t mean you can rape her. Just because you’re drunk and don’t know any better doesn’t. Mean. You. Can. Rape. Her. You rarely hear these statements made with a “YOU.” Because us girlies have to guard our chastity. It’s our responsibility. And I think that’s what drives me crazier than anything else. That all the “she was drunk” “she was dressed like a slut” “she led me on” completely takes away all agency from the person who had power. The rapist. You have power over your actions. If you see a car with the keys in the ignition and you take it that is car theft and I really doubt “the car was asking for it” would hold up in court. So dudes remember, a girl doesn’t get raped because she’s drunk or slutty or stayed out too late. She gets raped because she is in the presence of a rapist.

1 Comments:

Blogger Good Bet Ash said...

If you're offended that she calls all women weak stupid creatures, can I be offended she calls all men rapists? I mean, like only 95% of us are.

And I once accidentally stole a Dr. Pepper and when I realized I never paid for it, I walked back in to the store and told the clerk, who was like "Um...ok." So I don't think it's the candy's fault it was stolen. It was the apathetic store clerk.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home