Tuesday, December 04, 2007

No I do not want your blood of innocents

I hate the ads for Kay’s jewelers so much that if any person I am dating every buys me a “journey diamond necklace” I will break up with them on the spot for their utter lack of creativity.
I mean, if anyone ever buys me diamonds period we have a problem. Those sparkles come from the blood of innocents.
No like seriously, they do.
In doing research for this post (because I am responsible blogmistress) I explored the Kay’s site which does have some information on conflict diamonds if you look really really hard. Mostly along the lines of “Kay’s doesn’t buy diamonds from conflict countries” and “less than 1% of the worlds diamonds are conflict diamonds.” To the first I am sure Kay’s does what ever they can. But one of the reasons why diamonds are so useful to non-government fighters is just how easy they are to smuggle. To the second point: I have no idea where that statistic came from. There is no way to tell where diamonds came from and conflict diamonds are difficult to track (obviously). Therefore, no one actually knows what percentage of the world’s diamond market is tainted with blood.
Regardless, don’t buy diamonds. It’s trite if nothing else

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you aware that money from diamonds also supports many programs in Southern African countries including education in Botswana, AIDS treatment and testing, schools and food programs?

While it's true that diamonds have also been a "resource curse" historically in places like Sierra Leone, that country is trying to reclaim the wealth from the trade so that it can give back to communities. The war in Sierra Leone is over and now the country desperately needs to develop a sustainable economy that isn't just dependent on diamonds, but other products.

If you're interesting in learning more about both the negative and positive impact of diamonds and how people are trying to tip the scales more toward the positive, check out:
http://blooddiamond.pacweb.org/ddi/

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home