Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ads I hate.

I'm introducing a new slant to this blog that has been up until this point slantless. This slant will be "ads I hate." I watch waaaay too much television yet I don't have a tivo and as a result have a passionate hatred for many of the 30 second spots designed to get me to buy things. And so I will talk about my hatred, here on this blog. No other point. We wouldn't want this blog to have meaning now would we?
The very first ad we (I) shall rant about is actually a seres of ads I have hated for over a year now. Any one who has been in a room with me when one of these ads played is aware of how much I. Hate. These. Ads.

They're for Charles Schwabs brokerage firm. Which perhaps is problem number one. I don't have a broker as I am 1) a student and b) poor so I find it very very hard to sympathized with these yuppies.
The ads are animated using roboscoping which is a technique in which the scene is filmed using live actors and then the film is drawn over by hand (though probs now its done by computer). It was most famously used by Richard Linklater in waking life were it served a trippy dream like affect.
Obviously Charles Schwab wanted a way to differentiate themselves from the pack of other brokerage ads, though come to think of it I can't think of a single other broker ad. I can only imagine how the pitch went for this.
Ad guy: so... money is sexy.
Chuck Schwab guy: Yes money = sexy.
AG: but talking about money is boring.
CS: Agreed.
AG: so what we're going to do is film people talking about money.
CS: boring.
AG: But they we will ANIMATE THEM.
CS: HURRAY!
And then I image they drank a lot of kettle one* or what ever it is that expensive brokers and ad people drink these days.
What drives me so crazy about these ads is the potential for craziness just under the surface. I look at that animation and I'm just waiting for some one's skin to split open and out pour butterflies.
But no such luck. Because its boring yuppies. Talking about money. I mean jeeze they could at lease sing.

*I also hate the kettle one ads. Be prepaired.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home