Sunday, October 28, 2007

This is the best piece of the theatre that I have ever seen.


Tonight I saw the play “Black Watch” with my father which was honestly one of the best pieces of theater I have ever seen. Its about the black watch Scottish regiment which has been around for 300 years and is currently serving in Iraq. As one character explicitly says in the play “it takes 300 hundred years to build a world respected military regiment and two years to fuck it all up.”
At first it seems like its just going to be a documentary play with transcripts of interviews with solders who have returned from Iraq. But then five minutes in, the actors have been playing pool after returning from Iraq, everyone clears the stage and then there is a knife in the middle of the pool table. And I'm like “was that knife there all the time?” and then two people CARVE THEIR WAY OUT OF THE POOL TABLE and climb out in full military garb. And BAM you're in Iraq.
I don’t want to ruin it for anyone because I want EVERYONE to see it but there is marching and dance and singing and bagpipes and video and explosions and strobe lights and harnesses and violence and the word cunt is said about ever other word.
Seriously. Its amazing.
It also breaks your heart. I really just can’t explicitly say how much I loved it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home