Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Day of close calls. Also know as one of the levels of HELL.

So you know how I will say something like “In one week I will be in Montana…knock on wood.” And I always have to say “knock on wood” (okay, probably no one else has noticed this, but whateve). Any way, the reason I do this is because when I don’t, when I say, for instance, “hey Jake, by this time tomorrow we will be done with conwest forever.” And then forget to knock on wood, BAD SHIT HAPPENS.
Case in point: Sunday night I turn to Jake and say “hey Jake, by this time tomorrow we will be done with conwest forever.”
I go home, I take a Tylenol PM and set my phone alarm clock for 9:05 so I can get up and have enough time to make it to make it to my final at 10.
I wake up at 11:45 to the ringing of my phone.
No. Fucking. Way.
Immediate panic.
I literally scream at the top of my lungs. Apparently my neighbors weren’t around because no one came to make sure I wasn’t being hacked to death.
I try to call Ledah, first and then Emily. I have no idea how to handle this situation. I always used to smirk at people whole slept through their finals. “how does that even happen?” I asked in my head. Apparently really easily.
Finally I call my professor father.
Me: Dad, I’ve done a really bad thing.
Dad: okay, what?
Me: I slept through my final.
Dad: are you serious?
Thoughts of having to take this class AGAIN run through my head. I hated it enough the first time. But maybe this time I would do really well. But there would still be that F on my transcript.
I call my professor and leave a message. I email my TA. I try to calm down as there is nothing more I can do.
And so I do what any sane person would do. I go to Barns and Nobel.
This calms me for a little bit. Nothing like the feel of paper to ease my troubled soul.
And then I start freaking out about Africa. Because, what if they kick me out of the program? What if I loose the money I already paid? What if they scorn me for my F?
I prepare to go to the airport, to get out of the city, to flee, when I get a call.
Renzi: Hi is this Larke?
Me: yeah.
Renzi: can you come take the Final right now?
Me: yes, I can, I will be there in 5 min.
So I do manage to take the final, which means I should pass the class. Any dreams I once had of having that test raise my grade are dashed, though, due to my continued flusteredness and new panic: if I am going to make my plane.
Anyway, I run to the gate, just make it in time. Plane is delayed. Run to the gate in Minnapolis. Make it just in time.
Yesterday was a day of close calls. Now I am going to lay on my couch in Montana and cuddle the Primo Cat.
I will post pictures of Primo Cat and snow chickens soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Give a call when you're rested. I'm off to family counseling!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Emily Schwend said...

Aw Larke-y! I wish I had gotten your phone call (ten to one I was still asleep and it was turned off) because there's nothing worse than feeling all panicky by yourself. I could've panicked with you.

But it is done and you are in Montana and I won't see you for a very long time : ( sadface.

6:27 PM  
Blogger stephie said...

oh larkie! goodness gracious, that's awful, but, in the words of bob, it's all over now baby blue. (you are baby blue. just for today. for the purposes of the quote. ok, you hush.) aaaaand you'll be in cali soon. so weeeeeeeee troubles are over!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home