Sunday, June 10, 2007

I heart new york

So I was sitting in Tompkins square park the other day watching the heroin junkies. I’m always amused by them. But aside from being amusing they also define the change in the east village for me. On one hand, they are almost nostalgic, a throwback to another era before gentrification moved in. On the other hand, they are borderline scary and I wouldn’t have wanted to live in this area 10 years ago. So while gentrification’s rising rents are driving me to Brooklyn, it also made this area safe enough for me to want to live here in the first place. Make of that what you will.
Anyway, back to the junkies.
So I’m sitting there, watching this girl in bright blue eye shadow and a shirt that barely covers her breasts let alone anything else (and god knows, you have to be high to leave the house looking like that) when these four black boys, probably about 10 or so, run by chasing this other boy. And at first I can’t figure out what is going on until they throw something at the boy and with a splash I realize they are all carrying water balloons. AWESOME. And so for a while I watch the boys chase each other around using the junkies as a jungle gym until one of them throws a balloon and it misses and it lands right in the middle of the junkie’s pizza. Uh oh.
And suddenly the Junkies are up and squaring off against these five boys. The boys are on one hand apologetic, on the other hand, its really hard not to laugh at the anger of the junkies. They apologize. To which the junkies respond:
“Fuck you you little shit, my pizza is all soggy, I’m going to kick you’re ass.”
And then this black haired woman, maybe 30 years old, maybe 60 breaks away from the junkies and starts to run after the boys. Only she’s wearing really poorly fitting flip flops so she sort of slides towards them.
The boys scatter and she chases them barely 20 feet before she is winded and has to sit down. Heroin will do that to you. She then goes back to the wet pizza box and proceeds to eat the soggy pizza. Because, shooting up and chasing children is hard work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home